Monday, September 14, 2009

Separation Troubles

The past few weeks we have had some minor changes happen in Sunshine's life that have apparently felt like her world is crashing down on her. She moved up to the next classroom at her preschool, my work hours have become longer, and DH and I have switched up the drop-off/pick-up schedule for school; to add to it all she has had an icky cold and her 2 year molars are working there way in. Drop-offs at preschool have been horrendous and her mornings have been tough. Things are slowly getting better and I wanted to share what has been working to help smooth things over.
1. We have been reading books to help remind her that daddy and I love her and will come back to get her:
- M.A.D.L.Y by Sally North
- When Mama Comes Home Tonight by Eileen Spinelli
- I'll Always Come Back! by Steve Metzger
2. I printed out a social story from CSEFEL called "I Go to Preschool". It is a fab book that talks about going to preschool, what you do there, and then going home again. We have read it a couple times and I am hoping it will help her to feel confident that she will have fun and we will be back to get her.
3. She is bringing her alphabet book that I made for her with pictures of her family and things that are familiar to her. I am hoping if she gets sad during that day she can look at it and feel a bit better. Of course her lovey goes to school with her each and every day as well.

1 comment:

El said...

I am sorry that your little sunshine is having a tough time with all the changes. Just to let you know Brandon still cries when I drop him off at preschool and it's been a month. He does fine with DH tho.

I will have to look up those books you suggested. I think that will help!